Tuesday Feb. 2 in the House Privileges and Elections Sub-Committee: Elections. In a previous post (http://www.depotdazed.com/?p=4381) there is a list of several bills concerning redistricting that were in the hands of this subcommittee this morning. So, what happened?
- HB 26 Congressional and state legislative districts; standards and criteria for drawing districts.
- 02/02/16 House: Subcommittee recommends laying on the table by voice vote. This means, usually, that the bill has been effectively sent to the “bill graveyard” and is unlikely to ever appear before anyone UNLESS upon their report to the House Privileges and Elections Committee, there are enough voices to bring it to the table without the Sub-Committee’s input.
- HB 303 Virginia Interim Redistricting Commission; criteria for remedial redistricting plan
- 02/02/16 House: Subcommittee recommends laying on the table by voice vote (See note above…I’m beginning to see a pattern of avoidance her. Let’s hope that it does not hold up throughout all of these bills, that at least one got a fair hearing.)
- HB 553 Congressional and state legislative districts; criteria for General Assembly to observe in drawing.
- 02/02/16 House: Subcommittee recommends laying on the table by voice vote (Again see previous notes)
- HB 555 Congressional and state legislative districts.
- 02/02/16 House: Subcommittee recommends laying on the table by voice vote (Yepper, it’s 4 of a kind).
I wish I could say that this is a surprise to me, but it is not. Since I was not at the meeting, I do not have the lowdown on the exact “whos”, “whats”, and “whys” of things, so that will have to be found in your local papers and other sources, if it gets covered.
Check for updates and information is OneVirginia2021 Facebook page. I have a sampling of their posts on a special page right here One Virginia 2021: Redistricting News
You can use the posts there to set up your own Like to their page on your Facebook. In fact, I need to wander over there right now to check on things!
Have a great day!